History

The traits that characterize Sisterson & Co. LLP were established more than eight decades ago by Douglas G. Sisterson, the firm’s founder.

Born in Gateshead, England, D.G., as he was known, arrived in Pittsburgh in May 1912 at the age of 18. During the day, he worked as a bookkeeper to support himself, while attending night classes at the University of Pittsburgh to earn a degree in business administration. In 1920, he first demonstrated his life-long commitment to professional excellence by winning the Seymour Walton Gold Medal for achieving the nation’s highest score in passing the American Institute of Accountants exam. While working for a local Pittsburgh accounting firm, a client familiar with the quality of Mr. Sisterson’s work suggested he start his own firm. In 1926, that suggestion became reality when D.G. Sisterson & Company was founded.  Mr. Sisterson’s leadership as Managing Partner helped position his firm as one of the most well-respected regional CPA firms and he continued to influence its growth until his retirement in 1963.

Today, Mr. Sisterson’s commitment to excellence, the highest of ethics, and personal service in every client engagement is integrated into the work of each Sisterson professional. We take pride in our efforts to preserve the tradition started more than 85 years ago by delivering quality, service, and value to our clients while striving to maintain long-term relationships as a trusted Pittsburgh accounting firm.